Saturday, November 29, 2008

Patty Young: Creative, Professional, Designing Mom

Designers X and Y had an opportunity to speak with Patty Young, creator of the new Andalucia fabrics from Michael Miller. Many of you may be familiar with Ms. Young from the ebay and etsy design scene under the label MODKID.

She has now moved onto textile designing and just returned from her official debut at fall market in Texas. We'd like to share our interview with you here so you can get to know this creative and inspiring designing mind!


[Patty Young]


**Note: A Generous Giveaway of a fat quarter bundle of the Andalucia fabrics is being offered by Patty! Leave a comment on this post and she will choose one reader as the winner!!**

Interview:

Q. How were you first approached for designing a fabric line?
A. I got in contact with Kathy Miller (of Michael Miller Fabrics) through Sandi Henderson. I have known Sandi for quite a while since we both have a background in children's custom boutique. She encouraged me to work on some designs after she signed her deal with MMF because she knew of my graphic design background. I did a few designs... I think it was 5 or 6... and showed them to Sandi one night. She forwarded my email to Kathy Miller and the rest is history. I signed my fabric design contract with Michael Miller fabrics in April of this year.



Q. Do you often use the pms color chart?
A. I do. I've been using Pantone books for about 15 years now and pretty much keep one on my left hand at all times when designing anything. It's an invaluable tool for me.

Q. What software program(s) do you use to design your fabrics?
A. I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Some of my designs are sketched by hand on paper, scanned into the computer and either cleaned up and colorized in Photoshop or turned into vector art in Illustrator. I usually play it by ear... if I want a more precise look, I recreate the design in Illustrator using paths and if I want a more "hand drawn" feel, then I just use the original digitized drawing and colorize it in Photoshop.



Q.How many yards of each colorway are printed?
A. The first run is usually 1,500 yards of each design, then if the line goes for a 2nd or 3rd printing the amount produced is normally determined by the demand.

Q.Will you do her own repeats?
A. I have always done my own repeats because I feel I have more control over the overall look of the fabrics this way.

Q. Do you have plans to design another line of fabric, and what are your other plans for the future in design?
A. Yes, I am currently working on my second line of fabric designs. I will keep the details of this line a secret for now while it is still in the baby stages, but as soon as I am able to share, I promise I will. I am also working on a collection of boutique sewing patterns due out in Spring of 2009. The plan is to have at least 4 - 6 patterns by the time Spring Quilt Market rolls around. But if I have these completed beforehand, I will definitely put them up for pre-order on my site! Oh, and my website... that's another big project I'm working on. The plan is to have a fully working e-commerce site by the time my patterns are released.

Q. Please tell us about your background, and experience in design/textiles:
A. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design and Photography from the University of Central Florida. I worked professionally in the design field for 13 years before deciding to stay at home with my 2 girls in 2005. My obsession with sewing and textiles blossomed out of the need for a creative outlet while being at home with my children.



Q. Other than your own, what lines do you find inspiration?
A. OH, there are too many to mention, plus I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. But what I can say is that I find the most inspiration in the modern lines. I have always been drawn to modern design whether it is in textiles, architecture, furnishings, art or fashion. And I absolutely love when I see vintage or retro elements being combined with modern lines in a pleasing way.

Q. Can you please tell our readers where else they may find you on the web?
A. Sure! I am an avid blogger. You can find my blot at: Modkidboutique Blog.
I am in the process of revamping my website. I will post a link on my blog as soon as it is completed. In the meantime you can also find me on twitter at: Patty Young On Twitter and on flickr at: Patty Young on Flickr. If you have any items made with Andalucia fabrics, I would love for you to join my Andalucia flickr group at: Andalucia Flickr Group.


We'd like to thank Patty for the opportunity for this chance to get to know her better and for sharing some of her design techniques and history with us.
Don't forget...
Leave a comment on this post, and you may be chosen as the winner of an Andalucia fat quarter bundle!
It's custom BOUTIQUE....made by DesigningMINDS
NO fluff, NO interviews, NO ADS...JUST the Facts...the way it was intended............